Monday 25 April 2011

my meeting with Doug who admits he was obsessed with food

Whilst at the Radio Suffolk studio, I met another guest, Doug Segal. Doug has been described as "Deryn Brown but funny". We were both anticipating out live broadcast sitting in the guest room, and got into a conversation about weight loss.
Doug started telling me that his life was food, his day revolved around what he was eating and he was eating constantly!
So, What did Doug do, well he realised that his problem was that food was a pleasure to him and he needed to completely disengage from food being pleasurable. A key part in Dougs work is Psychology something he studied too, this became a big part in helping Doug look like how he does today.
Over the course of two years, Doug developed a diet for himself which is boring, but this was something that Doug had to do to help lose weight. Doug repeats his food plan everyday which consists of:
breakfast - slice of toast
Lunch - Chicken caesar salad
Dinner - Chicken caesar salad
In two years Doug has lost an incredible 8 stone, although he feels he has put a little on recently!
To lose this amount of weight is incredible, and takes a lot of guts to admit you are addicted and obsessed with food.
Doug and I only had a 5 minute chat, apart from thinking about Dougs journey, I was also thinking "is he reading my mind?" In that 5 minutes I Started to think about my clients, family and friends who have also have addictions and how beating an addiction it can be done, and there are many ways to do it!

What do I think about Doug's plan? Well, it got him results for weight loss which is a great start, but is there enough of the right nutrients to make your body function correctly? probably not.
I didnt get to ask Doug how his feels daily, but Im guessing energy levels are not great, especially when he is on the road and its harder to get a good Caesar salad.
I would never recommend toast to be part of any healthy eating plan, but some people don't eat anything for breakfast which is a far greater sin.
I Will be making contact with Doug to see if I can help with giving him a little more variety into his diet, along with exercise, and I will be certainly looking at purchasing tickets to go and see Doug's show after listening to the rest of his interview on the station, professionally and personally an incredible man!


You can see Doug's tour dates at: www.iknowwhatyouarethinking.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment